Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote

Although it has only been a few days since I have released this, the concept has been around for quite some time. Therefore, I really do not know what people would like to see additional "taps" for, either module- or now, with ShortLinks, block-wise.

Many of the "taps" already done for GoogleTap and GT-NExtGEn should work with ShortLinks. So, a couple of questions to the community:

1) Is there value in trying to collect all these individual module / block "taps" within the community and having them available in one place on this site?

2) If the answer is "Yes", then which of these would you like to see the most?

3) Are there any other modules / blocks out there that folks would like to see "taps" made available for?

Now, I am not committing to doing all the taps myself. Wink I just do not have that kind of time. Sad However, this could be a community effort, because I know there are many people out there who have used GoogleTap and GT-NExtGEn for years and probably have many of these to share. I don't really get anything out of it, because I have already "tapped" what I personally need for my sites, but others out there sure could benefit I think.

I would like to gather the community's input on this in this thread, so please do not hesitate to give me your thoughts on this. Depending upon the response, I may even open up a special Forum that is specific for the community to submit their "Taps" (also let me know what you think of this idea!).

Thanks!
montego

Misha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote

Just installed this. Installation was a snap, and it works right away! Great thing! Thanks a million!
Answering your questions:
1) Yes
2) nukeSEO, FNA.
3) Not sure now. I'm running nuke amazon, but I don't think it needs this in terms of SEO. I think all the things one really wants search engine to know about are already included, except (2).
Thanks again!
Misha

Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:32 am Reply with quote

Thanks Misha. Actually, I already have most of the Sitemap from nukeSEO tapped as I am using it on this site. I also have a way to tap the Google XML site map too... Wink

What is "FNA"?

Misha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote

XML was exactly the part I was asking for, and you have it, too Smile
FNA is Forum News Advance.
Thanks!

PS. For some reason ALL links I receive in automated email from your site (account registration, reply notification) do not work. They open this same email in a new window. I use payed Yahoo account, web interface.
Thanks.

Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote

Quote:
PS. For some reason ALL links I receive in automated email from your site (account registration, reply notification) do not work. They open this same email in a new window. I use payed Yahoo account, web interface.
Thanks.

Sorry about that. It happens to me too and it has to be one of my .htaccess directives, but have had no time to fix. I'll look into it now that it is affecting more than just me.

Is FNA a phpBB add-on / mod?

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:34 am Reply with quote

I found the one line in my .htaccess that was causing it... I was expecting it to be a different line where I would have had to think a bunch about how to fix! Laughing

Anyways, I answered my own question about FNA. It is definitely a Forums mod. I would suggest giving the "tap" of this a try. You have lots of examples within GT-Forums.php to go by and the links should be very similar. It would be a good exercise and learning in REGEX. Wink

But, if you run into any troubles, do not hesitate to post your questions in the forums here (not this thread, though please).

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote

I believe Nuke Amazon module has a 'tap' code already released but if you cannot find it I'll try and dig my copy out.

One module I would really, really like to see a tap for is Multiheadlines from aikons.net

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote

Guardian, thanks for that! I have not used the NukeAmazon module, so if you have the tap, that would be great. I guess I have to create a new forum for all of these... keep 'em coming.

I'll look into Multiheadlines. Are you using that? How difficult is it to set up?

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote

[quote="montego"]Guardian, thanks for that! I have not used the NukeAmazon module, so if you have the tap, that would be great. I guess I have to create a new forum for all of these... keep 'em coming.

I'll look into Multiheadlines. Are you using that? How difficult is it to set up?[/quote]
Multiheadlines is quite easy to set up, has stand alone tables etc and yes I'm using it http://www.code-authors.com/modules.php?name=MultiheadlinesWould probably take about 5 minutes to set up with a few feeds.
But if you need access just holler - you should have admin rights anyway.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote

These already look like they are tapped (or the tool is written with short urls in mind). What am I missing? Confused

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote

Embarassed told you my brain wasnt working today Embarassed
You are correct, I just simply forgot it was already tapped - oops!

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:47 am Reply with quote

I know you are using NSN GR Download here so there is a chance you have already done it?

The standard download module tap breaks the links for sub category downloads from what I can see.

Excellent work you have done with this by the way.
I was expecting the same sort of overhead as GTNG used to have but am really, really pleased to report it is nowhere near as 'sapping' - seems incredible but its true.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:41 am Reply with quote

Yes, I have already done it. I will post it to the "Additional Taps" forum shortly.

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:56 am Reply with quote

That would be excellent Smile
Its too much trouble at the moment to remove the download tap so I'll wait for the release.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:59 am Reply with quote

It really is quite easy... just rename GT-Downloads.php to something else. Wink

View next topic
View previous topic