Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
twodone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote

Hello,

I want to thank you in advance for any assistance! I do understand that you have criteria of when this is supposed to work but there is one issue.

I am not able to see your icon image in my admin section. I have to keep inputting the web address to get to this mod.

I am running 7.7 I think, but I thought I rolled back to 7.6 a long time ago.

Here are a couple things I get:

ERROR IN MODULE: HTML_Newsletter

ERROR MSG: Could not find testemail.php file

ERROR MSG: Failed to get Newsletter information

THE FOLLOWING FIELDS FAILED VALIDATION:

Newsletter Text: Required field must be given a value

Again, thank you for your help and your mod seems to be a great one!

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote

twodone, sorry that I have not responded. I am actually still away on vacation and have very limited access to the internet.

[quote="twodone"]I am not able to see your icon image in my admin section. I have to keep inputting the web address to get to this mod.[/quote]

That is definitely something wrong with your installation, I believe, of the HTML Newsletter files. Are you absolutely certain that you are using 7.6? If so, make sure you have uploaded all the files that the installation instructions say to (not the ones for installations that are less than 7.5). If you had also uploaded the pre-7.5 files, delete those; they could be causing this as well.

Also make sure your nuke installation is at least patched to the 3.1 level. This is required for the HTML Newsletter to work.

Quote:
I am running 7.7 I think, but I thought I rolled back to 7.6 a long time ago.

I cannot recall which of the nuke versions above 7.6 modified the module admin approach again (7.5 was the first major re-design of it).

Quote:
Here are a couple things I get:

ERROR MSG: Could not find testemail.php file

What were you trying to do (what did you click on) when you received that error? Could be any number of reasons, but all related to not having a complete installation. Make sure your modules/HTML_Newsletter/archives folder's permissions is 777 (as per the instructions).

Quote:

ERROR MSG: Failed to get Newsletter information

This sounds to me like you have not completed the database installer step OR, again, maybe related to your HTML Newsletter files have not all been FTP'd correctly.

Quote:
THE FOLLOWING FIELDS FAILED VALIDATION:

Newsletter Text: Required field must be given a value

This isn't an "error" per se. It is a simple validation message telling you that you must give the Newsletter Text field a value. It is the main newsletter body text and you cannot create a newsletter without it.

twodone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote

Montego,

I appreciate your lengthy reply and I am sorry to bother you on your vacation.

I have tried to reinstall everything and check to make sure the sql is correct. All is right that is supposed to be there.

When I do a fresh install I get a blank screen. When I put the old upgrade files in I can finally see the config screen.

I guess it is time to do a whole new fresh install of everything, but need to wait until my busy season is over.

Can you tell me what the best php-nuke is that is stable and most developers use as the standard?

This will lead me in the right direction, thanks!

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote

Well, something is definitely not right. This is installed on many nuke versions, so I suspect now that it might be patch related or you are still somehow on a release that is greater than 7.6.

As far as what I would recommend for a version of nuke, it would be RavenNuke, but I am biased in that I am also on the RavenNuke Development / Support Team. Wink

The HTML Newsletter is already integrated into the next version (not released yet) and is working just fine on my own RavenNuke 2.02.02 that I use here for Montego Scripts.

twodone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Montego,

I took the advice before you told me and went to town on a brand new installation.

I have everything working now, except for the newsletter is not able to view in the archive. I get this error..............

ERROR MSG: Cannot find selected Newsletter file

Let me know! Also, I would like to donate, which is the best way for this product and the raven?

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote

You MUST make sure that the following directory has full 777 permissions:

modules/HTML_Newsletter/archive

I believe that this is why you are getting error.

To answer your question about donating, any and all donations are welcomed! Just use the "Make a Donation" link on the home page here and at Raven's site as you please.

Thanks and regards,
montego

twodone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote

It is working now..................... Smile

How can I make an emai list for people that are not members on the site?

I have tons of emails and also get inquiries all the time, so I would like to compile a huge list.

Thanks for extra info you have!

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote

Hey, great that it is working!

Quote:
How can I make an emai list for people that are not members on the site?

I have tons of emails and also get inquiries all the time, so I would like to compile a huge list.

Unfortunately, the module is designed around PHP-Nuke, which is centered around Registered Users, Subscribed Users, and/or NSN Groups. There is no provisions currently for doing mass mailings to other than the above mentioned "groups".

However, if you have another mailing list group (a mailing list service) set up somewhere that can be mailed to and then it can then forward out to a complete mailing list, then that can be done using the "Ad-Hoc Email" option.

Regards and good luck!

twodone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Can you explain exactly how the Ad-Hoc Email works?

I am wondering if I can just create a huge list of my own emails and then paste them in.

Let me know!

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote

You can copy and paste into this field no more than 1000 characters at a time. Each email address must be separated by a comma and they must be valid email addresses.

You could change this maximum character limit by changing a little bit of code in modules/HTML_Newsletter/admin/functions.php, BUT, please keep in mind that most PHP installations (web hosts) will limit the execution time for any given PHP script and you may also run into issues with some web hosts with the number of emails sent within a particular time period.

These are host-dependent restrictions. You may still be better off for these very large mailing lists to use a service that specializes in that and then just use the HTML Newsletter to format the newsletter that gets sent.

View next topic
View previous topic