Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
metopen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote

hi,

I tried your newsletter and it looks good.

Here's some ideas to make it even better:
1) preview doesn't seem to work.
2) explain the "Who can view the Newsletter" feature. i set it to 0 and that seems to allow anyone to view it- which is what i want.
3) show "sent" newsletters to viewers with the topic.
4) add another option to "Who do you want the Newsletter to be sent to?" with a blank box for an email address. i dont necessarily want to to to the admin email...
5)what is "Include Newsletter Contents?"
6)for "Include Latest Items" add a box for calendar events using nucalendar (or a better calendar if you know of one)
7) for "Include Latest Items " have give the users an option to include all items since a certain date (or better since last newsletter) this way you just piggyback on the last newsletter
Cool schedule a newsletter to be sent in the future (low importance).
9) i dont want number of article hits to be sent to the user.

OK i know that's a lot of ideas for now...

metopen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:27 am Reply with quote

Here's another cool idea (with code) from [url=http://www.metopen.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5&mode=&order=0&thold=0]this article[url]

Encourage users to subscribe by clicking on a link to subscribe to the newsletter
Code:
       $toplist = $db->sql_query("SELECT count(*) as ctrh FROM `nuke_users` WHERE username='$username' AND `newsletter` !='1'");

list($ctrh)  =$db->sql_fetchrow($toplist);
      if ($ctrh >0) {
    $theuser .= "<br /><b> You are not subscribed to our newsletter.<br /> <a href=account-edituser.html>click here to subscribe.</a></b>";
      }

you can put this on your block and on the newsletter archieves page for registered users. unregistered users should get a message login or register.

But to make it even cooler, make the above link automatically subscribe the user. I can give you the code if you want.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Metopen,

Sorry for not responding sooner. Been "out of pocket" for a few days. Please see my responses below on each of your items:

Quote:

Are you certain that you do not have a pop-up window blocker? The preview feature will pop up a new browser window with the text of the newsletter just as the recipient will see it in their email (if HTML enabled) and/or from the Archives. You need to make sure your own domain is allowed to do pop-ups.

Quote:

2) explain the "Who can view the Newsletter" feature. i set it to 0 and that seems to allow anyone to view it- which is what i want.

It is within the 1.3 "roadmap" to add tool-tip help on each and every field within the Newsletter admin area. Just ran out of time on 1.2 and needed to get it out (the wife was losing patience with me... <smile>).

BTW, this was the reason behind the comment above the fields of "Change below values ONLY if you know what you are doing". These are system generated values and are intended on being maintained as such. However, I allowed the knowledgeable admin to adjust permissions if need be. The code is pretty well commented (at least as far as these values go), but I still plan on having the tool tip help.

Quote:

Not sure I understand what you are asking for. Within the archives and block, it is showing the Topic text that you provided. Can you please expound a bit more on this request? Thanks!

Quote:

4) add another option to "Who do you want the Newsletter to be sent to?" with a blank box for an email address. i dont necessarily want to to to the admin email...

I like it! I will add. Thanks!

Quote:

5)what is "Include Newsletter Contents?"

Take a look at the "Fancy Content" template and see it with and without this checkbox. Basically, for long newsletters, I wanted to provide a mechanism for the recipient to have a table of contents to the Statistics and Latest ____ sections. You can also add your own \<a name=""\> tags and the tool will recognize these and build these links into the table of contents.

Quote:

6)for "Include Latest Items" add a box for calendar events using nucalendar (or a better calendar if you know of one)

Unfortunately there are too many add-on blocks / modules to add support for, so I am hesitant to add specific support for a given module. NSN Groups was the only exception so far. Now, with the project I am working on now (that you are aware of), I already have an "adapter" concept working and I may port that "technology" over to the Newsletter in future releases. Basically, I and others will be able to write simple "adapters" to any module they wish.

Quote:

7) for "Include Latest Items " have give the users an option to include all items since a certain date (or better since last newsletter) this way you just piggyback on the last newsletter

Yep! Been thinking about that already. Its in the roadmap. Thanks!

Quote:

Cool schedule a newsletter to be sent in the future (low importance).

I actually have to address two main issues with any newsletter: 1) large number of users (time-outs) and 2) scheduling. Both are on the roadmap, but will require extensive work and creativity... need more time for that.

Quote:

Not sure why not, but a request is a request! Very Happy I'll add this to the list.

Quote:

OK i know that's a lot of ideas for now

Lots of ideas are good! Appreciate the input. As soon as I finish my other project, I'll be starting up on version 1.3 again.

Thanks and regards,
montego

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote

metopen wrote:
Here's another cool idea (with code) from [url=http://www.metopen.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5&mode=&order=0&thold=0]this article[url]

Encourage users to subscribe by clicking on a link to subscribe to the newsletter
Code:
       $toplist = $db->sql_query("SELECT count(*) as ctrh FROM `nuke_users` WHERE username='$username' AND `newsletter` !='1'");

list($ctrh)  =$db->sql_fetchrow($toplist);
      if ($ctrh >0) {
    $theuser .= "&lt;br /&gt;&lt;b&gt; You are not subscribed to our newsletter.&lt;br /&gt; &lt;a href=account-edituser.html&gt;click here to subscribe.&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/b&gt;";
      }

you can put this on your block and on the newsletter archieves page for registered users. unregistered users should get a message login or register.

But to make it even cooler, make the above link automatically subscribe the user. I can give you the code if you want.

I like the idea and will place on the roadmap. Don't need the code... I like figuring things out until I get stuck... Wink I have also been toying with the idea of allowing people to sign up to different categories of newsletters, but am waiting awhile longer to see if someone asks for it.

Thanks again!
montego

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Met,
Sorry for this, but I accidentally split this post out and had to move it back. It has MY name on the post, but this is really from metopen:

===========================

Thanks for your respone. Here's some clarification

Quote:

The page does pop-up but instead of having the preview it has the archive page

Admin Note: metopen, I have moved the above item to the Bug Report Forum for further discussion. Thought it was more appropriate to be there and will assist others.

Quote:

I'd like for the topic to appear on the newletter archive list page
Quote:

Adapters

I like the adapter idea. I think supporting one event module would set this apart...
Quote:

---------
Not sure why not, but a request is a request! Very Happy I'll add this to the list.

The reason is that a webmaster may not want viewers knowing a particular article is unpopular for whatever reason. Or if the site has been unpopular recently etc...

Quote:
I have also been toying with the idea of allowing people to sign up to different categories of newsletters, but am waiting a while longer to see if someone asks for it.

REQUEST! I really want this but didn't want to overwhelm you with requests.

Ideally it would integrate features of something like NSN mail list- which would allow people to subscribe without a nukeid and treat all subscribers, whether registered or not, obstensively the same.

I know you don't want code but here and idea on how to implement this: create a "subscribers" table that has the user_id, email and name for a subscriber. Obviously, you only fill in user_id if there is one. you only fill in email if this isn't a user, otherwise you have it on the nuke_user record. advantages of this system: if someone changes their info on the nuke_user record it will be available because you'll use an outer join to connect to nuke_users and then take the subscriber.email if the nuke_user email is blank etc. There would be some maintainence tasks to create the subscriber record for users but that can be a simple function that can be called before sending etc...

The last big feature I'd like is the {username} which was mentioned on the other site.

You mention a roadmap- is it documented? Just curious what's on it.

Any timeline for the other module? this one? I'm a developer so I understand it's not exact...

Thanks.

MetOpen

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quote

metopen,

Appreciate the dialog. Without those who care to share their thoughts, the nuke world would be a lonely place... Confused

Quote:

The page does pop-up but instead of having the preview it has the archive page

I have moved this to the Bug Report Forum for further discussion.

Quote:

3) I'd like for the topic to appear on the newletter archive list page.

I am at a loss because that is what is displayed on each newsletter archive and block line. I use the topic as the link text and then you can also configure the tool to show the hit count, date sent and who sent.

What is being displayed for you? Better yet, maybe this should be moved to the Bug Report Forum too...

Quote:

I like the adapter idea. I think supporting one event module would set this apart...

I am currently familiar with Event Calendar and use a modified version on some other sites (modified to be more secure and to work with 7.5+). I will consider it, but might choose to spend the time incorporating the "adapter" concept first so that it will make adding new integrations a snap.

Quote:

The reason is that a webmaster may not want viewers knowing a particular article is unpopular for whatever reason. Or if the site has been unpopular recently etc...

I appreciate the insight. I probably would never have considered that. I'll add it to the product roadmap.

Quote:

Quote:
I have also been toying with the idea of allowing people to sign up to different categories of newsletters, but am waiting a while longer to see if someone asks for it.

REQUEST! I really want this but didn't want to overwhelm you with requests.

I am not overwhelmed, just understaffed and am currently working the other project that you are aware of! My 2 year old son just can't comprehend PHP just yet... Laughing I was wanting to stick within the Nuke framework (i.e, nuke users), but will give this more consideration.

Quote:

Ideally it would integrate features of something like NSN mail list- which would allow people to subscribe without a nukeid and treat all subscribers, whether registered or not, obstensively the same.

To be honest, I was originally intending on integrating with NSN mailing list rather then competing with it, but then I saw that it had more to it than I originally thought. So, unfortunately, multiple newsletter tools will just have to exist. I'll give this request serious consideration.

Quote:

The last big feature I'd like is the {username} which was mentioned on the other site.

I had already done a quick-and-dirty customization for Malen (who was requesting it from NukeWorks) when I realized that the right solution was more complicated than that. So, I added it to the product roadmap along with some other ideas.

One things folks may not realize (and I need to document) is that you can actually even add the {XXXXX} tags into the Body Text box and they will resolve at newsletter creation time...

Quote:

You mention a roadmap- is it documented? Just curious what's on it.

I keep my roadmap within my master CHANGELOG file and keep adding to it both "commits" and "future consideration". I am hesitant to provide the future features anymore as well as timing as I have seen a couple of my ideas implemented in other "competing" tools. It got me to thinking that it may not be prudent especially since I can't move as fast as some.

Quote:

Any timeline for the other module? this one? I'm a developer so I understand it's not exact...

I am about an hour or so away of effort (not cycle time!) in completing the foundation of customizable layouts and adapters, and have a Project Summary and Project News (to Nuke News) adapter already written. I am going to focus on writing the other base nuke adapters now and expect it to take about another 4 hours of work. But then the big part of the project still remains: the admin function!!!! This one is huge due to the inherent customizability of the tool (similar to the blocks and modules concept within nuke). Sorry. Just can't give you a specific timing. If I had a few solid days to work on it.... Crying or Very sad

Thanks again for all your input!

Regards,
montego

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:43 am Reply with quote

I know you are busy with other projects but any timeline on when we might see work on V1.3 comencing?
I'm looking forward to beta testing and contributing to the effort.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote

Guardian wrote:
I know you are busy with other projects but any timeline on when we might see work on V1.3 comencing?
I'm looking forward to beta testing and contributing to the effort.

Sorry Guardian. As I have to fit coding in amongst my already 45 - 50 hr a week job + having a wife and small child, my time is very limited. I am about 30% of the way through the Admin portion of the new tool I am working on. Can't tell you for sure when it will be done. Things have a way of changing on me without notice. I hope to be done this month with my new tool and then start immediately in on 1.3.

Thanks also for the "assistance" offer on 1.3. I am sure that I'll be taking you up on it!

Regards,
montego

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote

No problem mate - I know all about working life LOL.
My full-time job is a minimum 60 hours a week (plus I am on call 24/7)plus my own 7 or 8 sites, plus being a site admin or moderator on 4 or 5 more, plus wife (luckily not kids) and restoring a classic car and studying for web related exams - so not a problem at all mate.
I used to have net access at work which made things a lot easier, now I just do what I can when I can.

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote

<Bump> Wink
Still lookig forward to work starting on 1.3 Laughing

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote

Yup... it has started! Planning at least. You can check out the Work Board for all the items planned (so far) to be addressed in 1.3. I am going to keep this release rather "lite" in nature because I really need to do a revamp for 2.0! Need to think more in terms of newsletter and subscriptions and larger number of users...

Thanks!

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote

No problem.
Have sent you a gift via PM

mdwilson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:13 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure if someone has added this request for the next version, but it would be nice to add blocks (left/center) from their site in the newsletter. This give the sender the ability and flexibility to include other key points they wish to call attention to.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:41 am Reply with quote

mdwilson wrote:
I'm not sure if someone has added this request for the next version, but it would be nice to add blocks (left/center) from their site in the newsletter. This give the sender the ability and flexibility to include other key points they wish to call attention to.

I keep wondering if I should just send a newsletter with a link back to the nuke site. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Yes, very much just kidding. I have also had folks ask to send a newsletter with essentially the same theme as the site, so you are not alone. I'll have to mull this one over. I am planning a major re-write for version 2.0 and will have to see how this could be done.

Thanks for the input! Always appreciated.

dude69th

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote

please add fck editor to the next version Very Happy

dude69th

View next topic
View previous topic