Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
bf2taz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote

Hey! Love the program! One problem. I did as was suggested when hovering over the NewsLetter Text question icon and created my text in Front Page 2003. When I pasted the text into the Newsletter Text field and tried to preview my news letter with any options selected nothing happened, I would just be taken back to my main site page.

Any idea why? It must be something in the text but what?
Thanks
Chris

bf2taz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote

I think some of the formatting for FP2003 is messing this up. I took out the header and now I can at least compile the newsletter. Now what I am seeing is that some of the html tables are being printed before the newsletter actually begins, so it's like the newsletter is being printed out twice, once with tables that should only appear once, and then the entire newsletter over again. Do I need to change these table numbers or something to stop this?

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:56 am Reply with quote

Are you trying to use the option of using no template? With that one, it should render exactly as you were seeing it in FrontPage. HOwever, if you are using one of the templates, you are responsible to ensure your HTML tags are well-formed, opened/closed, etc. Once the HTML is valid, it should render just fine with one BIG "however", one never really knows what Bill Gates will do with FrontPage... he always seems to think he knows more than you... Wink

bf2taz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote

Well I really like the Fancy Template, the whole thing fits the colors I am using and i replaced the logo. jpg with my company logo.jpg and it looks great.

It has something to do with the tables, because the very first table that is in the body of the html is at the beginning of the newsletter followed by the rest of the newsletter. Then, you get the template, like it should look, with the entire newsletter like it should be displayed. It's wierd.

Is there anything I could send you to help you understand or help me figure out what is wrong?
Thanks

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote

Well, it really is the code that you are pasting into the textbox. What I would try to do is validate your HTML using maybe the W3C validation tool or even try to view your code in FireFox (which is really picky on being correct).

If you don't succeed there, write back here and I'll PM you my email addy.

bf2taz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote

Lol I cut and pasted the code into http://validator.w3.org/check
and it returned over 425 errors. Should I get another editor? What would you suggest? anyone else want to chime in?

bf2taz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:03 pm Reply with quote

I cheated to get it to work, I sent the whole newsletter to myself as admin, then I edited the email and removed the junk at the top. Re-pasted the proper part of the email into Front Page, copied the code from that, removed the header and body tags from the top and bottom of the page and sent the news letter without a template. This worked but it was a lot of work. I can still email you the code for the newsletter if you want to see it.

Funny part is, that this happens the same way in Fancy News Letter. So it must be something in the code.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote

Send me what you would like to have pasted into the newsletter content text box and I will look at it (only the HTML between the BODY tags or "less"). Send to montego __{ AT } __ montegoscripts ..dot.._ com.

(I just love messing with those auto-email "scrapper" tools...)

bf2taz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote

I have emailed you the code,

Thanks for the help!

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote

I looked at this further and I think I may know what the issue is. Your HTML code has <!-- and closing --> tags in it and I think that is messing up the "text only" version of the newsletter at the top. I will probably remove that feature in the next version and just provide a link back to the newsletter on the website.

Try doing this:

=== OPEN ===

templates/Fancy_Content/template.php

=== FIND ===

Code:
$emailfile = <<< EOD
<!-- Hi {USERNAME} Your System cannot read HTML-Mails! Following message was send to you: {TEXTBODY} -->
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

=== CHANGE TO ===

Code:
$emailfile = <<< EOD
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

Your text-only email clients will not receive your newsletter contents in text-only mode, but I think your newsletter should render properly then...

View next topic
View previous topic