Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Donovan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Here is a template I did. I want to know can I link these items to forums posts on my site?

For example if I have a forum on my site called Newletter accessed by admins only or somebody responsible for getting the newsletter out, and they posts news for the current week, can I link these threads to fields in this template?

For example 5 different subforums in the Newsletter forums named the following: Title, Map, Axis News, Allied News, Tactical Realism News.

I link each topic to different custom variables in my template.

Is there any way of getting around these static variables?

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Donovan,

What you are asking for is completely custom. That is not the intent of this newsletter tool. Now, you are certainly welcome to use the whole structure of the tool and custom the few scripts such as maybe admin.php and admin_make_nls.php, and possibly others, to do what you want. I mean, use the ideas and implementations, as they will apply, but, again, its completely custom.

Regards,
montego

Donovan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote

Would it not be a good enhancement to be able to choose which forum post you want to appear on your Newsletter rather than just the last 5 topics? Seems like something to look at for 1.4 perhaps.

Very Happy

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote

Donovan wrote:
Would it not be a good enhancement to be able to choose which forum post you want to appear on your Newsletter rather than just the last 5 topics? Seems like something to look at for 1.4 perhaps.

Very Happy

Yeah, it can be done, but then what about all the other site content? 1.4 is too soon. I have a completely different approach in mind when I go to 2.0 and I think it will be much more flexible.

But I still question what you are asking for, because it is just way too custom, in my opinion, to build into the HNL - certainly not in the 1.x series. You would have to be given the ability to basically configure the queries, configure the way to handle each query, and configure the replacement of content tags. Can you see how difficult and convoluted that might become? This is pretty much "coding".

I can see making the ability to customize it much easier, by template, but to have it completely configurable so that everyone can configure each of the elements however they wish... wow, that'd take several years with how little time I have these days....

Donovan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote

If each forum has an id, and each Forum has a title then could you not query and list your Forum titles and then by a radio button select which forum you want to include into your Newsletter? You then use check boxes to select which threads to include into the template variables $title, $contentright, $contentcenter, $contentleft, $contentbottom.

Just a thought.

Are you for hire? Very Happy

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:18 am Reply with quote

Donovan wrote:
Are you for hire? Very Happy

Unfortunately I only have such limited time due to my day job and family responsibilities. This latest release took way too long to bring out. There is so much pent up demand for enhancements (see Feature Requests).

I have yet to take on "for hire" work. Sorry, but "life" for me just does not give me enough time.

I will add these ideas as a new Request.

View next topic
View previous topic