Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Donovan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote

What settings should you change in your email client to receive HTML email?

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote

Well, now that would depend on your email client. Too many of them to know them all. My experience has been mostly with web-based mail systems such as hotmail, gmail and yahoo as well as Outlook Express and Outlook.

Most of the newer clients will just handle it directly when it notices the content type of "text/html", but others you may have to hunt-and-peck in the options to see if there is a switch.

To be honest, this is one of the primary reasons why it is good practice to have a reference back to a web page where the reader can get the HTML page equivalent. You can build this right into the top of your template. In future versions, it is on my to-do list to provide a tag for this so that it can take one back to the exact archive on the site.

cme4pt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote

Everything seems to work fine if you are using a web based email but if I use Outlook 2003, it is in plain text. My client is set to read HTML as a default however. Any ideas?

Ok, here's a twist. If I copy the newsletter preview code and then paste it into the NSN Group "email a group" option and choose the HTML option, I can view the email fine. Is there a piece of code in the HTML Newsletter module that is checking and blocking the HTML tags?

I am using Raven's 7.6 2.02 with the WYSIWYG enabled. Otherwise it works beautifully.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote

Ok, this is really odd. I just sent myself a test newsletter to my yahoo email account and looked at it using POP3 from Outlook 2003. It shows up just fine.

Are you using one of the provided newsletter templates? Are you able to view the newsletter perfectly within FireFox or other truelly "compliant" browser?

If you are using your own template, make sure it is valid HTML. I am going to check on a few more email clients and see if I can replicate this issue... Been unable to so far.

cme4pt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote

my ISP is comcast.net. I am using your "fancy" template with no modifications. I use Firefox and it shows up fine in preview mode. What is strange is if I copy and paste the source code from the "preview" into the NSN Groups email module, the page comes out fine. I am using this as a work around at the moment, but it is a bit cludgy.

thanks,
cme4pt

cme4pt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote

I checked with a couple of other people and they are viewing the newsletter fine. It must be a setting within my Outlook 2003, I just need to find where to change the setting.

Sorry for the trouble.

cme4pt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Well there is apparently something quirky about the email system that my ISP (Comcast.net) uses. Because it comes through as text rather than HTML using the mail system built into HTML Newsletter. However as I've said before if I copy and paste the source code into the NSN Group email, it comes through fine.

Now if I use one of my other email addresses the newsletter is fine with the built in function.

The question is why does comcast process the email differently. They also use Brightmail to process for spam, etc.

Any ideas?

cme4pt

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote

cme4pt wrote:
The question is why does comcast process the email differently. They also use Brightmail to process for spam, etc.

I really do not have any idea, but I will check the NSN Groups email code to see if I can understand the differences. Just to make sure I am clear, you are going to the "Edit Groups" admin function and then to "Email a Group", pasting in the raw HTML that HNL generated, and then sending it out and you get it just fine that way?

If the answer to the above is "yes", then it might be something to do with the commented out text before the first <HEAD> tag. But, I'll look at this in the morning and let you know what I find.

Thanks for the additional testing. This is definitely something odd with comcast, but good to find out a solution to better the product.

cme4pt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Montego,
Yes you have it right. I agree it must be something different in the coding. I just haven't had a chance to view the difference in the coding. Let me know.

Thanks,
cme4pt

P.S. it also doesn't render in gmail (Google)

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote

cme4pt , sorry not having responded by now. Been busy with other pressing matters. I hope to get back to looking at this later this week.

Thanks for your patience!

cme4pt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote

Let me know when you have a chance to look. I'll try to compare the code also and see if I can get a handle on the difference.

Still a great module though.

cme4pt

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:15 am Reply with quote

I have finally had a chance to look at this and would like you to try something for me. Within file modules/HTML_Newsletter/admin/functions.php:

--- FIND function msnl_fSendNls ----

Replace this code:

Code:
   $headers      = "From:$msnl_sSender<$adminmail>\r\n"
                        ."Reply-To: $adminmail\r\n"
                        ."X-Mailer: PHP\r\n"
                        ."X-Sender-IP: $REMOTE_ADDR\r\n"
                        ."X-Priority: 6\r\n"
                        ."Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\r\n";

With this code here:

Code:
   $headers      = "MIME-Version: 1.0\n"
                        ."Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\r\n"
                        ."From: $msnl_sSender<$adminmail>\r\n"
                        ."Return-Path: $adminmail\r\n"
                        ."Reply-To: $adminmail\r\n"
                        ."X-Mailer: MSHNL\r\n"
                        ."X-Sender-IP: $REMOTE_ADDR\r\n"
                        ."X-Priority: 6\r\n";

Please let me know if this works better.

cme4pt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:18 am Reply with quote

Montego,
As soon as I get a chance today I'll give it a try and let you know the outcome.

Thanks,
cme4pt

cme4pt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote

Montego,
That seems to solve the problem. My comcast email still embeds the header at the top of the newsletter but that is mostly a very small cosmetic issue. My comcast email also has the subject line as Newsletter from ....

My other email doesn't do that.

Thanks for the fix!

cme4pt

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:13 am Reply with quote

Glad to hear it! I will fix this in the 1.4. Thanks!

Also, regarding this comment:

Quote:
subject line as Newsletter from ....

You may want to look at this post/thread:

http://montegoscripts.com/ftopicp-306.html#306

View next topic
View previous topic