Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
gator81

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote

Montego, I have been looking hard for a uploading mod or even block that would allow me to upload to a specific folder not to be downloaded but to be used for the wimpy player I have been using for some time with a church.
I have no programming skills but I am not scared to jump into about anything and try. After alot of searching I had noticed the mod Submit_Downloads and i tested and tried to get it to do pretty much what i wanted and seem to be very close as this is already part of the RN release. After more reading I have seen that a few others have talked about the upload abilities of this module.

What I am wanting to know is can this module be changed enough to be for uploads only by those that have the permission and to a folder that has been preset.
I have also seen that you use the download admin to confg alot of this and one is the extensions that is allowed or to add new ones. I tried to add one for .mp3 and the result was an error. I would probally remove all the other ones as for me .mp3 would be the only file uploaded.
Also in the config for the catagory it looks like you can set a path to another folder and I have had no luck getting it to go to the folder I wanted and the folder was chmod for 777 to test.
I really wouldnt need the email or download code active so if that was removed it would be a couple less things to be concerned with Smile
I also noticed that there was a line to could be changed to auto validate if it was uploaded by someone with admin access. But it will probally only be seen by higher access so most people shouldnt even see it when its done.

Thank you ahead of time for any help, or directions you could point me to trying to get it to do what i am trying.
From all the research i have done i have seen a request for something like this alot, and it would be a means for me to try and be of some help instead of always being helped.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Ok. Couple of options.

First, the Downloads module can certainly be used for this:
1) Create a Group using the Edit Groups function. Don't make it Public
2) Assign whatever users you want to this group.
3) Create a Download category with the path you want to save the files to, use the group from 1) and allow uploads.
4) You can even assign Submit Downloads module just to this one Group as well, so only those users from 2) can even use the module to submit the files.

The only catch to this approach is that an admin will have to approve the uploads.

The other option is using the WYSIWYG editor. In RN 2.5.0, this is still FCKEditor with its built in file upload capabilities. While it isn't a separate module/application (there are some in the community pushing me to create one), all one would have to do is go into something like Submit News, and then the editor is there with its built in file uploader.

gator81

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote

I had worked with the downloads but its like using a semi to do the work of a ford f150.
the submit downloads has the same feature and seems to have fewer steps to get what you want done. And by going with what was already released with 2.5 you know that there is not any code changes for the updated release.
I dont mean to sound contradicting but the submit download mod is probally the closest to doing what i want, and this is after 14hours of reading forums, testing other software, and working with the download mod.
Becaues I dont have the skills, i will make a backup and start slowly trying to make small changes and test to see what it does, and there will be a small chance that I could get lucky and get it to work they way I want.
thanks for the other suggestions and if there is any place in the code you would recomend leaving alone let me know.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote

gator81,

Submit Downloads comes along with Downloads. You cannot use Submit Downloads without Downloads so I think we're saying the same thing.

I incorporated these two modules into RN 2.50 so am well aware of what is there...

Not sure what code changes you think that you need to make? Yeah, it is not specific to single function you are looking for, but I haven't seen what you're looking for... yet.

gator81

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote

Montego: I am sorry if it sounds rude in my post, I have been sick the last few days and I cannot sit down and do the research i was doing before.
I understand that the module uses the download admin to configure what should be done.

what I would like to have done is to modify the module to do the upload portion only, and to have the means to set the default folder that may not be relevant to the default folder.

so to remove the options for downloading, voting, and to configure it to only accept one file type "mp3" which in the download i can disable the other types but when i added mp3 it gave me an error. There was an option in that code that you could change for admin to not have to validate.

so to put simply, the submit downloads set to just do upload without the needs to be validate. It is so i can have uploads to the folder i will store the sunday church messages that has been recorded, and to upload them to the specific folder the program will detect and add it to the player i am useing. this would make it simple with little intervention and it work Smile

again i am sorry if i come across the wrong way. It is never my intention to upset anyone that I am trying to get help from Smile
I just really feel in my heart that the module will be the best and easiest way for what I am trying to do.. Smile

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote

Did you add the mp3 extension to the list of acceptable extensions? I think that would solve that issue.

I still think you can use the tools the way that you want to with the noted configurations? You can set the path to whatever you wish. You can make it Web accessible even and create links to them using content module, news, etc . if you like.

gator81

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote

well i tried to add the mp3 and it kept giving me an error. I also tried a few ways to set the path and it didnt seem to accept that, it seems that it will only let you change the path as it is relevant to the default path. If i could even just do that and it work then i can just change the code to not worry about validation and I would be set.
It was just figured that if changes would have to be made then i would of also looked to remove the other stuff.

View next topic
View previous topic