Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
papamike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote

Do you know if anyone has any plans to rebuild the Web Links mod? Since I'm here, I guess I mean you. Although I know that you are busier than a one arm paper hanger. Smile

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote

No, no plans to pick this up. I'll be honest, I have to focus on modules/hacks that I personally use or support for clients. Like you said I am "busier than a one arm paper hanger". Smile

Sorry.

papamike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Thanks montego.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote

I had toyed with using the shrinktheweb api with the weblinks module, although it looks like they will not be allowing free access to the api @ some point in the future Sad

papamike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote

Well, good things come to those that wait. Smile

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote

That is always going to be a problem with website thumbnail generation. I haven't yet found a service that is free as well as efficient and reliable.
Snappr used to be quite good until every man and his dog started using it. I haven't looked at the STW API yet but if it does the thumbnail generation locally, rather than using additional software from their website then it should be good. Chances are quite high though that since it's an API, the main software resides on their website, which in turn means you are reliant on them either not charging for the service, or not limiting the service.
An alternative would be to write a Class to do the donkey work and that's certainly something I now have on my todo list.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote

oooh, that sounds exciting Smile I'm looking for a replacement Rolling Eyes

the stw api has worked pretty well, allowing me to cache the screenshots for X number of days on my own site.

Although I recently received an email requiring me to opt-in on an email marketing program to continue having a free acct. It would be easy enough to create a dummy email acct, but I think I see where things are going..

Look forward to what you come up with. Not sure if it is helpful or not, but the class i'm using is open source so here's the link if you are curious.

http://www.rtsforce.com/files/STW_php5-class_by-entrepan.zip

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote

I'll take a look at that Smile
On their website, the free account doesn't allow thumbnail caching locally but I don't see how they can stop that because the API returns the thumbnail to be able to display it, so once the thumbnail is generated you should be able to cache it.
I was hoping to look at this at the weekend but I just FUBAR'd my website by accidentally uploading two different sets of RN files lol

View next topic
View previous topic