Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
papamike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote

Hello Rob, all

I have a HTML Newsletter setup on my site and noticed a couple of things that I think it needs. I created my newsletter without a theme and when someone clicks the link to view the newsletter, it opens in a plain new tabbed window.

(1) Is there a way to make the newsletter open in the themes center block? I would like to have the look and feel of the newsletter match the theme.

~or~

(2) Could it be possible to have the newsletter displayed in the same way that the expandable forums center block is?

Thanks,
papamike

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote

You bring up some interesting points. Regarding 1), the Newsletter's primary intent was to send newsletters. The ability to also have those sent newsletters - as-is - via the web site was secondary. However, I see your point and need.

I could potentially add an option to the Plain Text Newsletter choice to allow for this extra feature to be applied. Or, maybe as a first cut of this, make it Newsletter module-wide for Plain Text newsletters. Would you have to have this configurable per newsletter or is having a module configuration option just as good?

Could you explain 2) a bit more? I don't think you are referring to Raven's collapsing forums block as I am not sure that is the right use model? Might you be thinking more of like an image pop-out - just relating to some of the photo-album type use models.

nuken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote

If you want it to open in a colorbox:

In modules/HTML_Newsletter/functions.php, find

function msnl_fGetBlockRow and change

Code:
.'<a href="'.$url.'" title="'._MSNL_NLS_LNK_VIEWNL.'" '
         .'onclick="window.open(this.href, \'ViewNewsletter\'); return false">'.$topic;

To:

Code:
.'<a class="colorbox" href="'.$url.'" title="'._MSNL_NLS_LNK_VIEWNL.'" >'.$topic;

papamike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I could potentially add an option to the Plain Text Newsletter choice to allow for this extra feature to be applied. Or, maybe as a first cut of this, make it Newsletter module-wide for Plain Text newsletters. Would you have to have this configurable per newsletter or is having a module configuration option just as good?

I think having a "configurable per newsletter" would be the best way to go. I thought about having a newsletter that is visible or that would popup like Nuken suggested. Then maybe it would be consistent with the theme that's in use. I think that on my site it will give more visitors the opportunity of reading it or archived copies (although it can be done now).

Is there a way now to set the width of the newsletter itself? I need to look at the settings more.

Quote:
Could you explain 2) a bit more? I don't think you are referring to Raven's collapsing forums block as I am not sure that is the right use model? Might you be thinking more of like an image pop-out - just relating to some of the photo-album type use models.

Yes, I think your idea would be more suitable, as I was shuffling around the idea of a forums type mod which after sleeping on it I know now that it wouldn't work.

The only concern I had last pm was that the "no theme" newsletter looked so plain. My thinking is, and I may be wrong, that if it takes on the websites theme of opens in a popup then it will draw more people to it. In no way am I cutting down your work in that regard.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote

Actually, the intent of the No Template option is to allow you to send out whatever formatting that you like! You have complete control over the HTML that is sent. None of the content is generated for you. So, in reality, you can force it to look however you like!

I don't want to lose that option, but I also understand why you might also want to send out a true text/plain message as well and potentially have that just take on the look of your site when viewed through the web.

papamike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote

I can understand where you're coming from with the "No Template."

My concern, and I don't think I explained it to well, is not to send out newsletters but to give visitors/members access to it from my website. My website, like a lot of others, is void of members but people do stop in to see what's there.

That is my reasoning behind my request.

Also, I wanted to tell you that the marquee scrolling feature is not compliant. I was going to go into my copy and replace it with Javascript, but since it's your mod I decided against it.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote

papamike wrote:
My concern, and I don't think I explained it to well, is not to send out newsletters but to give visitors/members access to it from my website. My website, like a lot of others, is void of members but people do stop in to see what's there.

Ok, I get what you are saying. So, from your explanation, it sounds like you need to be using the options of:

"No Template"

and

"ALL site visitors - NO email is sent, but any visitor can view the newsletter"

Isn't this what you are saying? You can make the newsletter content whatever you like and use No Template. But, yes, if you wish to have dynamic content, I will need to enhance to allow for this use case. At least I think I now have a really good idea of what you're after.

Quote:

Also, I wanted to tell you that the marquee scrolling feature is not compliant. I was going to go into my copy and replace it with Javascript, but since it's your mod I decided against it.

Yup. Already know that and even say as such in the documentation/code. Smile In fact, the HNL is not 100% XHTML compliant in its 1.3.x form but I do have that all corrected for 1.4 that is in progress.

With regards to scrolling blocks. I am not really much of a fan in adding a bunch of different JavaScript components as I don't really have any visibility (any longer) into what the RN team is going to add which may conflict. The Marquee tag works in all browsers and probably always will, so its a really minor non-compliance issue.

What I would like to see happen is for the RN Team to settle on a core scrolling API, one that is jQuery-based or at least friendly, one that can be applied to one or more scrolling elements whether a block, ticker, public message, ... whatever. Maybe you/I can influence them in that direction?

papamike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't this what you are saying? You can make the newsletter content whatever you like and use No Template. But, yes, if you wish to have dynamic content, I will need to enhance to allow for this use case. At least I think I now have a really good idea of what you're after.

Yes you're correct. If someone has a site, like mine, without a lot of members, it can remain static. If the site grows and takes on a lot of new members then it will have the option (still there) to handle that task as well. I prefer static myself with dynamic content.

Javascript is a language I grew up on but never liked due to the fact that one script can poison another. But you are right about using a core API, I prefer jQuery because it's still cutting edge and is very flexible.

Have you ever seen this 'old school' website? Been on the Internet as long as I can remember. http://www.ozones.com

papamike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote

I added a post on Ravens site about the scrolling API.

http://www.ravenphpscripts.com/postp155420.html#155420

I started thinking last night about the various places where I could use one. Definitely up front on the messages and news blocks. Mine are long and the scroller would help me make all of the center content the same height.

View next topic
View previous topic