Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Susann

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote

I would like to change some urls to have the title in it.
Content-17.html isn´t very meaningful. So where would I need to change it ?
.htaccess, url in and url out or also in the block ?
I have tried it already in the content block but it seems it doesn´t work there.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote

I haven't looked at the Content links in a very long time, but I suspect the title isn't even a part of the link being generated. Turn ShortLinks off for a moment and see what is being generated. If the title isn't within the link, you cannot "shorten" it without changing the Content module's code to provide it. Once the title tag is provided, though, you run into all the sorts of issues with special characters and such in the titles that you have to contend with as a straight [a-zA-Z] type regular expression character set just doesn't work.

I would love to devote someday the time to completely re-write ShortLinks to do more closely with what I believe floppy has done. But, where is the time. <sigh> I agree with you that Content-1.html isn't all that helpful.

But, I have also viewed a YouTube video by Matt Cutts that keywords in your links don't really help (or hurt) you all that much either... however, I think he was coming at it from a "keyword stuffing" standpoint, which I don't believe using the title falls into that category.

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote

Montego thanks for your reply !
I will think about this again.
However, I know I can rank high without the title in the url cause I have working examples.Smile

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote

Susann wrote:
However, I know I can rank high without the title in the url cause I have working examples.Smile

I completely agree. In fact, I have a feeling that nukeSEO(tm) DH that is going into RavenNuke(tm) version 2.4 is going to help with ranking and SERPs much more than ShortLinks. But, I still want to get there some day with ShortLinks.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote

just so happens I played with this for content plus right after the release of the last distro. So if the content/index.php has changed since then any updates would need to be added.. Somewhat untested since I don't have many content pages and can't test the pagination of individual content pages or categories. Aside from that it is working for both individual pages and categories... ie

yoursite.com/content-cat-1-Your-category-title-here.html
yoursite.com/content-1-Your-Document-Title.html

Had to edit the functions to insert and format the title into the url, then shorten with shortlinks... also had to tweak the one of the shortlinks to avoid conflicts in the sortby function... which can't include the title without more editing than i was willing to do Smile

anyway give it a spin Smile
http://www.rtsforce.com/files/contentplus.zip

btw, i didn't include the gtb file, but everything else is included Smile

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote

Thanks spastic!

BTW, I just can't help but crack up every time I see your avatar! Laughing I love it!

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote

hehe, ya made me laugh too. One more thing, I didn't implement in the bookmark url option either, because I was wary of url formatting issues. But I assume it's possible by tweaking:

Code:
$pageurl = $nukeurl.'/modules.php?name='.$module_name.'&pa=showpage&pid='.$pid;

to something like
Code:
$pageurl = $nukeurl.'/modules.php?name='.$module_name.'&pa=showpage&pid='.$pid.'&title='.gt_url($mytitle);

but I didn't test it out... I guess if you want that url to be shortlink aware it would need to be edited anyway... maybe
Code:
$pageurl = $nukeurl.'/content-'.$pid.'-'.gt_url($mytitle).'.html';

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote

ok i updated the download above so that pagination works correctly, featured content links have title in url, a couple aesthetic improvements, as well as the
Code:
$pageurl = $nukeurl.'/content-'.$pid.'-'.gt_url($mytitle).'.html';

so that social bookmarks use the shortened url.

you can see demo on my testing site
http://www.rtsforce.com/content.html

and a doc with working pagination
http://www.rtsforce.com/content-2-What-is-Lorum-Ipsum.html

UPDATE: Just refreshed the download one last time to include jestrella's browse tag fixes as well as title in the url for browse tag results, and the content block w/ gtb file...... pretty sure it's 100% working now Rolling Eyes

View next topic
View previous topic