Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
ispgeek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an established site but would really like to implement Shortlinks. I have it installed, it's working great but after thinking about it really hard I'm a bit scared so I disabled it for now. The last thing I want is to get delisted or nailed for duplicate pages.

My question is this. How can I instruct search engines that the old links should not be followed or retained as they have moved. I understand a little about 301 but just enough to be very dangerous.

The issues I'm most concerned with are the core site features (eg: news, forums and related).

Any help you can offer with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote

I had made this switch about 3 years back. There are just too many links to try and 301 them all IMO. The only thing that I can offer you is to also use nukeSEO's sitemap module so that the SE's have a good listing of what YOU say the links should be.

To be quite honest, I have wanted to change over to a completely different approach to shortening links, one that uses descriptive titles in the link names rather than what ShortLinks does. One of the things stopping me, besides not having the time to re-write ShortLinks, is the change over. Fortunately, I would already have all the re-write rules in .htaccess to change over to 301's, but that isn't the case for you.

ispgeek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote

I have an excellent sitemap program for google and yahoo. I already installed the dynamic titles and keywords + descriptions and have been running the later two for a while. Just did the dynamic titles and I'm curious how that will go.

Everything I've read indicates to me that google really only penalizes cross domain type stuff for the most part. In other words clearly flagrant examples of rank modification.

I'm not trying to do that obviously. I just want to be a wee bit more SEO friendly and cut down the size of the links. I've already got everything installed and ready to go. I can change the .htaccess in a second and be running just fine...just really worried about the hit I will take if they wrongly suspect I'm cheating.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote

I can only speak for 3 years ago. There could be a slight dip for a very small period of time, but I also used to rank at 4 and now I am 2 and it happened overnight with a Google "tweak" of their SE.

What is the moral of the story there? We haven't a clue what Google will do from day-to-day. Even the so-called "professional" SEO gurus are only able to guess... its just that the truly good and reputable ones have far more experience at the guessing game than you and I (and far more opportunities to "test" their theories).

If you want shortened links, the decision is up to you.

THoTH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote

Hi Smile

Interesting thread, when you say you rank at 4 but now 2 is that page rank you mean? I thought that was just a measure of the inbound link popularity ?

Anyways, you're right google does change it's mind a lot. What might help the poster is to block "unsubmit" URLs from google. They could use an online sitemap generator to get an xml file of the current links. Submit those to google's unregister pages setup.

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35301

Once that's done, implement your shortlinks. That may work, bit of effort, but would do the trick perhaps?

Quote:
To be quite honest, I have wanted to change over to a completely different approach to shortening links, one that uses descriptive titles in the link names rather than what ShortLinks does.

Same issues here, I installed the phpbb3 module recently, and needed to make sure all it's links matched the shortlinked nuketobb2 ones. Still not complete. I wonder if it's possible to completely unindex a website from google and the others change links and then have it re-indexed? Like you say though, it's time to do such stuff that's the problem.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote

Actually, I was thinking of something similar, but not really un-register. One could possibly create the full set of links possible and put these into a MySQL table along with the mapping to the new link structure. Then, through .htaccess, trap the 404 error and pass it into a PHP script instead and this script looks up the link on the table and then does a 301 re-direct to the new link. Of course, coming up with that mapping table is quite a bit of work, but allot of it is going to be common pattern strings.

At least this is how I was thinking of making the transition smoother. A little "brute force" though.

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote

If you have a Google webmaster tools account, you can remove dead indexed links through that but yes, it would take a lot of time.
Having a new updated sitemap would help.

As always, you just have to bite the bullet and see what happens, though if you are using RavenNuke (tm) you may want to hold off on that until version 2.4.0 is released as there should be a lot of really useful stuff in that to help you.

Google is about to launch it's next generation search engine soon called 'Caffeine' so we can expect yet more changes Sad

View next topic
View previous topic