Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote

Forgive me jumping the gun here Montego but I did not want to add to the burden of things to do for Version 1.3
I think it is more important to finalise 1.3 'as is' without complicating matters but still have the opportunity to put forward 'other' ideas for your excellent project.

You may not even be contemplating a next version but here goes......

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote

The existing script takes its style sheet cue from the current themes - in this case, the admins theme as we are concerned only with the newsletter administration area for the purposes if this post.

Many themes available are poorly coded resulting in unpleasant 'looks' in administration area's for example, a dark background utilising dark text etc which renders the page more or less useless.

I have seem this happen with quite a few module administration area's so it is NOT a problem that is confined to HTML_Newsletter.

My feature request is that in the configuration area, there should be an option to utilise an alternative 'fixed' style sheet providing a basic light background with dark text OR coding the colour scheme within the file rather than using the theme css.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:01 am Reply with quote

Guardian,

I sure do appreciate the input, but this raises in my mind the question about my usage of standard theme elements. It is my opinion that the theme should control the color scheme and I should code as generic as possible to use standard theme color constructs rather than needing to hard-code anything. If I do this, does this not transfer the responsibility for good/bad color schemes to the theme designer? Shouldn't they be responsible for making sure their themes produce readable results?

I thought that I was using standard theme color schemes, so if I have not, please let me know because I am certainly no theme expert. I prefer to leave that to people with more "creativity".

As always, your suggestions and comments are regarded highly so please do not take this to mean I am not going to do anything about it. I am really trying to understand where the problem lies (root cause) to see if its my usage of color constructs.

Thanks and regards,
montego

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote

I should correct my previous post!!
I was referring to the module index page NOT the admin area - sorry!!!!

Yes I agree with you on every point!!
I would also agree especially with the useage of existing assigned variables as far as the color scheme goes - it makes good sense after all to make use of something the is already there.
Saves hours of coding from scratch etc etc.

My post was inspired from a problem I had with Lorkans PHPBLUE_CB theme I was using on my site - when viewing the newsletter module index page, the text and table backgrounds were both very dark which is not what I would expect to see given that the theme uses a light table background - not your fault at all by the way but the fault of the theme itself.

I have had similar problems with other themes, especially those that use their own forum theme files which rendered the forum admin page completely dark, so much so, it was impossible to discern any of the text at all.
I got around the problem by using a third $bgcolor variable ($bgcolor3)which was declared in the file itself and then did a quick and dirty find/replace.

Perhaps it is some internal conflct within nuke between what is declared in the theme and the forum theme.
I am not much of a theme designer so I am having difficulty giving you code examples.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Ok, that definitely helps. I'll have to look at the color variables that I am using. I thought that I had patterned it off of some of the NSN scripts, but I'll need to look more closely at it.

Given this info, I am convinced that I DO need to add this to the list of items to try and fix with 1.3.

Thanks!

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote

I just added another Bug Report to the list for 1.3.

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote

If you want to register on my site and change the default theme to PHPBLUE_CB you can see what I mean Smile

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote

I just registered on your site at http://www.guildofsecurity.co.uk and cannot change the theme. Confused

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:49 am Reply with quote

OOps, sorry I forgot that only Premium members get that option.
I have adjusted your membership level accrodingly so you should now have access to that Embarassed

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote

Now that is better... Laughing

I can see the issue pretty clearly. Very interesting that your other content pages and modules are showing up just fine. That tells me I am not using the right color variables. Hhhhmmmmm... that also tells me Bob at NSN isn't either. I need to check that.

Edited: OR I need to check to make sure the HTML tags are good. I wonder if I am not closing a tag properly.

Thanks!
montego

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote

Wel, I am no expert but the html tags look good to me except for an opening TD and TR tag on line 144 which never get closed.
Code:
echo $mod_row;
         echo "</td></tr><tr><td>\n";
         $idx_nl_nbr++;

} //End of HNL_is_viewable IF

} //End of while loop for list of newsletters

CloseTable();
   CloseTable();
   include("footer.php");

}  //End of list_newsletters() function

So perhaps the issue might lie with one of the included files?

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote

I should definitely NEVER produce bad HTML. I'll fix that right away, however, it has been my experience that IE is forgiving with that so I am still questioning my choice of colors.

I have tomorrow off for vacation and was going to make some progress on 1.3. I'll take a look at this and if I spot something to try, I'll post back here or PM you so you can try it out with that one theme.

Thanks again for the help. Hope you don't mind me adding you to the credits! If not, how would you like to be referenced? (You can PM me if you'd rather.)

Regards,
montego

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote

You can add me with any reference you like mate, just glad to help if I can.

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote

First of all, forgive me if I am going the wrong way about this.
I am trying to create a template based on my own sites theme but it seems the only way to develop the layout colours (styles/css) is to change a few of the css calls at a time, then go through the whole create newsletter process before you can get to the preview page and see what it physically looks like.

I tried just copying the html bits into dreamweaver but with the php driven content it really doesnt make much sense to me.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote

When I created the Fancy Content template I basically captured the HTML from my nuke website (Home page), ran it through Tidy to fix all the indentation, etc. From that I was able to grab the necessary "blocks" of HTML, replace the content with the necessary { } content tags. Yes, I had to add the necessary CSS statements into inline CSS statements.

What worked well for me was to just save the HTML on my local PC and keep viewing it through the browser and seeing how the { } tags would look positionally and style. Once I liked the overall look, colors and positioning, I turned it into a template.php file and tested through the module. I really only had to run it through a couple of times for some minor "tweaks" because I had already validated the look as a static HTML file.

Unfortunately, it can be a tedious process. It took me quite awhile to do this, but it is much easier than my experience with Fancy Newsletter.

Regards

View next topic
View previous topic