Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
kenspa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:20 am Reply with quote

Just wanted to give this idea, and see if it is easy to keep a stream of audio file on the newsletter when e-mailed to users.

Shocked thx Shocked

Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote

kenspa,

Can you give me a little more detail as to what you would like your target audience's "experience" to be when they receive the email? For example, do you expect them to click on a link to start the audio? Do you need it to start automatically?

Also, do you have a good idea of the different email clients that your target audience would have? If so, could you please list them for me?

Thanks,
montego

kenspa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote

The idea behind what i mentioned before is to deliver newsletters with music as background, and even you can create some kind of e-cards for the ocasions. May be that could be solved when using swf files in the content of the newsletter!!!
What I meant and did for the first go was:
Put a post card in the content, and work out an html to display windows media player in a tiny shape just below the picture. this html file streams a sound file on my server. Now the newsletter is beautifully ready with music and control buttons for the wmplayer...
BUT WHEN YOU SEND IT, on the email you won´t see the wmplayer display or hear the music Sad
I know this won't be as easy as it sounds, but there will be ways to make the delivered newsletter streams that asx file.
Otherwise, how can the newsletter keep showing images but not sounds since both use pathway to their files on my server???

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote

Sad flash files (swf) are NOT displayed either in the content of the newsletter when deliverd Sad
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:45 pm Reply with quote

The key question becomes when you view the newsletter from either the module or block, does it work then? What I am wondering is if any given email client or POP/SMTP service you are using is filtering this content out?

Try from the web and let me know. You need to first make sure it can work being viewed from the web, and then lets see if the email client can pick it up.

Regards,
montego

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:35 am Reply with quote

kenspa,

Thank you for the sample link in your PM. Yes, as we can see, everything is working just fine from the web. This is telling me that the email client OR your mail host is filtering content. I know this because what you see from the web and what is sent via the email is exactly the same HTML.

Since you cannot know every target recipient's email client and its restrictions, may I suggest that you send the newsletter anyways, but give them a link back to the Archives with a note that if they are unable to see/hear the special audio/flash, to view it from the web.

Actually, you have given me another idea for an enhancement! I should provide the ability to have the admin/author also include a link back to the specific newsletter (not just the entire archives) with a message which says something like "If you are unable to view all of the content of this newsletter, click here to view the newsletter from the web".

Thanks!
montego

kenspa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote

MY PLEASURE MONTEGO!!!

I'll be trying to dig around this point (audio files) on my next break soon, and will post you anything I come to..

Wink

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:36 pm Reply with quote

Yes, Outlook and Outlook Express by default will stop streaming content sent in email unless it is as an attachment for security the same as it does for java~script and activeX components.
It is basically 'active content' and it gets filtered but you should be getting a warning message in the email client.
Not sure if some anti-virus software might possible trip up on this too - it may pick up on the <embed> tag??

Great idea about the link back to the actual newsletter rather then the full archive!!!!!!!!!
A lot of my newsletter recipients receive their newsletter through their workplace email address and by default, for security, many are set to receive only plain text formatted mails so being able to 'sniff' this or provide a link would be fabulous - excellent idea!!

Here is a quick link to my own template I'm trying to integrate into the content area http://www.guildofsecurity.co.uk/Newsletter/newsletter.html

kenspa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:11 am Reply with quote

You're number 1!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely right, it's a better idea to provide a link rather than a whole content. There are tons of antivirus, anti-spam, anti-popups, anti-...

And it is ANTI-LOGIC go on delivering executable files where you best know that they won't pass the tons of anti-thing applications..

Saw the template, it's really very nice Wink

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:21 am Reply with quote

If I had the skills I would like to make that the actual newsletter template rather than just for conent section 'inside' the newslettr but I have much to learn first.

View next topic
View previous topic