Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
pezzer1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote

This would fall under the "Other Misc SEO" topic...

I believe my site is getting just about where I want it in terms of tricking it up. Dynamic Titles (which obviously was you, not me) is a huge thing...

...but my last goal is to figure out a way to create article specific meta descriptions (and maybe tags, too.) I feel page specific/unique meta descriptions are somewhat important in the eyes of Search Engines.

I ran across some old code (for nuke 6.5) that creates additional fields in the content module for Meta Description and Meta Tags, though - 1. It's only for content (not news/articles) and 2. It's based on an older version of Nuke.

I'm going to play with this myself and see if I can hack around enough to do this without breaking anything, but have you guys attempted anything like this? I know there was (and is) a ton of work that just went into the latest version of RN, but when time permits, this seems like a next logical step.

It doesn't seem too difficult - Add a field for "Description" and maybe "Tags" in the article and content creation page, then change the meta include file to use this field instead of the $slogan it currently uses. It can't be that easy, though, could it? I guess I'll find out soon enough...

pezzer1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote

Something just dawned on me. The name "Dynamic Meta Descriptions" is misleading (at least in my case.)

I guess it should be titled "Unique Meta Descriptions" instead -What I am personally looking for is not a page specific meta description that is dynamically pulled based on page content, rather one that is user entered for each article and content entry.

I guess if it were do be done right, it would expand much further than that - encyclopedia, FAQs, etc.. but for me, just the articles and content is a good place to begin.

Now, if something is already in the works that creates that dynamically, that's certainly better than just the same one for each page, but I just wanted to clarify what I was attempting...

Susann

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote

I used this in 6.5 for News and content pages and I know it works in 7.6 with some modifications too. i just had no time to test it out in RavenNuke.

You are right the title "Dynamic Meta Descriptions" isn´t correct.
I `m also looking for a tag feature in Nuke which really works dynamic and I believe thats a great future feature in Nuke. Smile

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote

The reason that I have not pursued, nor will, is that I know Kguske is working the dynamic meta keywords / description as well as Dynamic Title as a part of his next release of nukeSEO. To me, that is where it belongs as one cohesive SEO package.

Since Kevin is working it, I am focusing my efforts elsewhere.

pezzer1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, montego. I browsed the nukeseo forums a bit - I wonder when the latest version will come out - It's been a long time since Guardian asked originally in the forum.

I will keep playing around to see what I can work up but will look forward to his next release.

(I hope that didn't sound like a complaint or impatience - I can imagine how annoying it is to be working on multiple projects at the same time while also having a day job and having everyone expect everything finished (and perfect) right away (and usually for free.))

It will probably be another year, anyway, before I get my site in full production as slow as I'm going... Smile

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote

No worries. Did not think anything negative about it. I am thinking Kevin is in active development, but, yes, we have day jobs and families, so it can take us awhile to get things done.

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quote

Susann - yes a tag feature would be a great addition to nuke in my opinion and I have often wondered wether to start such a project - have the tags created dynamically based on the repetition of words within any page or perhaps use frequently searched terms from the word search table; there are many possibilities.
Once kguske releases the next version of nukeSEO you could even put the keywords generated by that into the tags to emphasis some keywords.

I have found www.swicki.com very useful on my own site but I'm not sure if there is a German language equivelant.

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote

swicki is interesting but nothing for my websites.
Like you said there are many possibilities. How and from where the tags should be created thats the question.

I believe before I can test some scripts I need to upgrade my php version first. So maybe in summer I have tags cause there are holidays and I can work 24/7 without interruption. Smile

kguske
Community Giant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote

Sorry for the delays on nukeSEO - I'm working on a project that is due this weekend. There will surely be some follow up after that, but my intent is to focus on nukeSEO.

Regarding dynamic HEAD tags (title, description, keywords), the goal is to provide several ways to determine this, including overriding at the specific content level. I have most of the pieces - just need some time to put the puzzle together...

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote

I know it will be worth the wait so no worries here Smile

Susann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:03 am Reply with quote

Several great sites lost there PR because they used tags.
So because tags are often used to spam and the Goggle guys knows this I think I don´t will use a tagcloud within Nuke.

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote

Yes there can be abuse when you use a tag cloud that simply counts the repetitions of words on a page but I don't think this would affect any of my own sites as 99% of all the content is my own. Apart from forums there isn't really any opportunity for people to post things and I have not had any forum spam for over a year.

Susann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:06 am Reply with quote

I´m not talking about forums spam. Smile
edit:.
If you loose your PR you often will not know why but this ,tag cloud problem can be one of the reasons.

Btw: Someone tried Nuke already without desc and metas ?

Last edited by Susann on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total 
montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote

Interesting. Just a personal preference on my part only, but I just have never really liked the messy looking tag clouds, which is why I have never implemented them.

From what I have read over the years, more and more, the meta data is being downplayed with the search engines. They are getting better at trying to establish true "value" from the end-user's perspective and the end user doesn't "see" these tags.

Therefore, some of the more recent literature suggests that the more important components of Page Rank are: Page Title, URL (with good quality key words), and relevant non-"gaming" content. What I mean by "gaming" here is not in the sense of gaming sites, but the ACT of playing games with your content trying to boost your rankings. At least in the more obvious / dubious sense.

Ok, that was my 2 cents worth for the day. lol.

View next topic
View previous topic