Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
sixf00t4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote

it be nice to have a block where people can just type in their email address and subscribe instead of having to sign up for an account. So, if the newsletter could maintain it's own list of subscribers and have an option to include those in the target audience it'd be nice.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote

I agree. Already on the list, but it might have to wait until after 1.4, which means PHP5... Wink

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:50 am Reply with quote

sixfoot4 - careful!
What happens if someone then uses the block to sign someone else up for the newsletter and they then report it as spam and you get your server or site blacklisted?
There would have to be a way to send an email to that address asking them to 'confirm' the subscription.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote

... hint... hint.... Wink

I will check my Mantis issue and make sure I add a note there about this just in case I hadn't captured that little "tid-bit". Thanks G.

sixf00t4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote

yeah, that's what mailman does, is it easier to just start from scratch or try to port something like that into nuke?

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote

Sorry about that montego, I just cannot help myself.
I just thought it was a big trap for the unwary to fall into because I actually fell for it myself on my very first site.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote

sixf00t4, Well, for someone like me who really loves to create more than I do to port, it is about the enjoyment of it and the learning process, as I am going to go mostly object-oriented in my design.

But, your point is also well taken and I will definitely look at most of the PHP/GPL tools in existence today for that purpose just in case...

Guardian, never a problem sir. I ALWAYS appreciate your input.

kguske
Community Giant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote

Another option: integrate. Porting and creating are fine, but why not just hook up with NSN Mailing List? Sure, there might be some compliance issues, but it might be a quicker path to newsletter nirvana (nalliteration ntended).

Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote

Yeah, I've already thought of that and considered it at one point, but had my reasons for not doing so. Now that it is pretty much out of development... maybe...

Thanks for the reminder. Wink

Lucifix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote

Can anyone please tell me if guest are allowed to subscribe to Newsletter?

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote

No, they are not. This uses the standard nuke subscriptions which implies that you are a registered user.

It also does not have a separate mailing list sign-up.

Sorry.

Ymryl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote

How difficult would it be for you to add an additional option under "Who do you want the Newsletter to be sent to?" to use the subscription list from NSN's NukeMailList(tm) module? This would provide for a fairly easy solution without the need to recreate the wheel (so to speak) Smile

Currently I dump the 'email' list from the nuke_nsnnm_users table into a .csv and then copy and paste the list into the ad-hoc text area (thanks for the code to change it into a text area BTW Smile ). Simply selecting a radio button would obviously be much easier Wink

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote

I had thought of that 3 - 4 years ago, but at the time, I wasn't sure if I wanted to compete against NSNML or support it. I also was thinking of a slightly different approach to sign-ups than what BobM was using. But, throw all of that out the window as much has changed over the years, including BobM's status (active vs. inactive) and mutual friendships.

So, now I am concerned about hooking up to something that is no longer really in active development/support. Ideally, I would take over NSNML and incorporate it into HNL. However, given how little time I have and my commitment right now to NSN GR Downloads, that just isn't going to happen.

This topic is already on my HNL enhancement list, but not sure when I'll get to it.

Ymryl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote

I understand completely. Thanks for the quick response. Smile

Sarmient

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote

And, what about a block only for Registered users with a button "Subscribe To our newsletter", if the user is already subscribed the block will show something as "You are subscribed to our Newsletter". Maybe this is less difficult Smile.

View next topic
View previous topic