Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Nefar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Right when you think you have most things done somethign pops up to bite you in the ass.

I was going over some things on my test site today and found something odd. It seems that all my links inside of module have html newsletter added on to them.

Example: http://www.dreadguard.com/test/modules.php?name=Web_Links

Mouse over add a link, the dead picture, any link within web_links and it has http://www.dreadguard.com/test/modules.php?name=HTML_Newsletter the same goes for if you were to look at download section, etc. I'm not sure what would cause this or what file to go look into to track it down.

Any ideas?

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Nefar,

I went to your test site and I do not see the issue that you are referring to. All of your links looked as if they worked properly. Have you since done something to correct it?

This is going to sound strange, but others have experienced this issue and it was somehow related to their zip client (didn't expand all the directories) or FTP client (did not have it set in ASCII mode when transferred).

Let me ask you this, since I do not experience the same issue when I go to your site (as anonymous), are you logged in as admin at the time you see this issue? If so, if you log out of admin, do you still experience the issue? What happens if you are anonymous vs. a regular user?

If you only see the issue while logged in as admin, do me a favor and check to see if you have the case.HTML_Newsletter.php script under rootweb/admin/case and links.HTML_Newsletter.php script under rootweb/admin/links. I see from your previous post that you are running 7.6 30 patched. If this is the case, the two above scripts should be removed from those two directories. They were to be uploaded ONLY if you were running 7.4 or under.

Let me know what you find.

Regards,
montego

Nefar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote

Hmm odd. I cleared my cache/cookies came in as anon in both ie and firefox. I still see the same problem. Now when you click on weblinks and it brings to the selection screen when you mouse over say the ADD link the url is http://www.dreadguard.com/test/modules.php?name=HTML_Newsletter&l_op=AddLink

You are not seeing this at all?

I also checked out the root/admin/case and case/links folders they did have the two files you mentioned. I just renamed them, refreshed and weblinks/addurl or any of the links under that page still lead me with a http://www.dreadguard.com/test/modules.php?name=HTML_Newsletter&

So odd but it never fails. Right when I think site is almost done weird crap always happens lol.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote

Did you rename them so that "case-" was NOT in the first five characters? If not, since you are running 7.6, you may delete these two files as long as they are under the SITE Admin directory and NOT under the module/HTML_Newsletter/admin directory.

You're not running a "fork" of Nuke are you or a special package like Platinum?

Nefar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote

Nope straight up 7.6 3.0 version. I did'nt notice this problem because I was just running through installing mods. Everything seemed to be fine until I have gone to 1.) put a message up via the news link.

2.) Went to add a link in the weblinks and noticed all links are now pointing to name=HTML_Newsletter&l_op=AddLink at least ones that are nukes own modules... like weblinks, downloads etc. I have one parse link error when i'm in admin section and click on add messages but I think that is a seperate problem and not related to the newsletter oddity.

Oh, yep I removed the /public_html/test/admin/case and other file.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote

Nefar,

Just realized what is probably happening. Within script block-HTML_Newsletter.php I end up redefining the global nuke variable "$module_name" to point to "HTML_Newsletter". I didn't think anything of it because I saw many other add-ons doing the same thing. However, if I had to guess, is the link issue only with blocks that are on the right-hand side? After I redefine this variable, it could be used by base nuke blocks elsewhere (or other add-ons) without those blocks re-defining it back.

Regardless, try this: within the above mentioned script, change ALL references of "$module_name" to be "$msnl_module_name".

Let me know if this fixes the issue for you.

Regards,
montego

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote

I have not had a chance to read this thread fully at the time of posting this but out of curiosity, before you go editing any files etc, are you using the newsletter block?
If you are, if you deactivate it - do you still have a problem?

Hmm, most bizzare!!
I just visited your site and didnt see the newsletter block so I'm guessing you are not using it so it rules that out.
You weblinks module loads up fine for me from your main menu and also links within weblinks seem to be working fine for me too.

Montego - is this redefined variable confined to the 'block' code?
I may try that with mine and report back - as you know, I had an issue with the block before and this sounds like the reason for it.

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote

Yup, that seems to clear up the problem I had with the Content module and Weblinks links going screwy - nice catch!

Nefar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote

I decided to clear my site and start all over again. I had downloaded a 7.6 3.0V and besides the newsletter issue i had another problem. Which someone just told me I had a 7.5 file in with 7.6 so I said hell with it starting over yet again from scratch ;( Once I get main things back in place I plan on loading newsletter again. I'll let ya know if the same problem pops up.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote

Guardian,

Thanks for the additional checks! So, just so I have it exactly right, were you also having an issues with links even with the Newsletter block deactivated? If so, then it points me to the same issue within the module itself (I was guessing that if $index was set to show right-blocks that it might also affect those from within the module).

Thanks and regards,
montego

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote

No my issue only develops when the block is activated and changing those variables in the block code now eliminates the problem completely.
The module has always been active and gave me no problems at all.

Only when the block was activated did I have incorrect urls when using the Content or Weblinks modules - it is possible other modules where affected but I disabled the newslettr block as soon as I realised a problem existed.
I think I reported this 'possible' problem in the bugs forum so I guess that can now be changed to 'resolve' Razz

Just to be ceratin, I re-uploaded the original block code and the issue came back, deleted the file, re-uploaded the 'fixed' file and everything is fine.
I think there were something like 17 instances of $module_name lol so I just did a find/replace.

Nefar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote

Little update: So far I have Newsletter, sent, and some other various addons installed. I checked my links and all was good. However, you are correct with the link problem. I just noticed when I turned the newsletter block on it changed the links inside of other modules. Disable the block goes back to normal. So that is for sure a repeatable problem.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Nefar,

Then making the changes that I suggest above will solve the issue for you. Thank you for the additional review.

Regards,
montego

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, definitely an issue with the $module_name field. I try and keep as much of the code and files under the modules directory structure as possible, making the module almost completely self-contained to make installs, upgrades, support, etc. very easy for all involved. Therefore, my block script was pulling in some files under the modules directory and, so, I am also against hard-coding certain things and so I wanted to re-use the $module_name variable. Bad move on my part.

In version 1.3, I have completely gotten away from using $module_name altogether and have tested it with various blocks and combinations of blocks active on the left and the right. All is working well now.

Stay tuned for version 1.3... only a few weeks away.

View next topic
View previous topic