Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
xGSTQ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
NOTE ON REGISTRATIONS: We have just found too many abusers coming from the mail.ru service and therefore do not allow registrations coming from this service. In addition, as we find email anonymizers, such as spam.la, they will not be allowed! In fact, its even worse than that. YOU WILL BE BANNED! You have been warned!

How the hell do these idiots make such a program to register on sites, its beyond me why they would want to do it, and why ?

oh well its all confusing for me to understand Laughing

We have CNBYA 4.2 installed and it seems to be doing a good job

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been toying with the idea of using my just released Approve Membership Lite module so that I personally have to approve every membership request. However, I would probably still ban from the mail.ru server. From what Evaders has told me, this service has basically NO checking on anything and so it is very easy to auto-create user accounts.

Who knows if that has changed in the last four months, but I doubt it! I just decided that I don't care, I'm banning 'em all...

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote

I'm still getting 3 or 4 sign ups a week from mail.ru even though it clearly says on my YA index page I won't accept them from there.
In fact it is getting beyond a joke now, the amount of IP's I have auto banned with NS string blocker is getting so big I'm strting to wonder just how many IP's I have not banned lol.

xGSTQ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote

So i just presume your looking for email addys that end in mail.ru ?

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote

If you were asking me, no. I don't allow mail.ru or any of the free email accounts like hotmail, rock.com, gmail etc.
My own personal view is that, people visitng my site would be doing so because they have a site of their own, therefore they have their own email address tied to their hosting account which they can use.
There are a few exceptions where I recognise the username and email address, in which case I do allow anonymous mail addresses but as a general rule, free emil acounts are refused and mail.ru gets banned.

View next topic
View previous topic