Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
phpnewb8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote

I am fairly new to php and I wanted to send an html newsletter and I installed your module.

I was wondering if you have a tutorial on how it works.

I have made my newsletter and was wondering how to preview it first then how to send it out. (I dont see a send button anywhere) Also wondering do I put my images that are used for the newsltter in a certain folder or can I just reference them from another folder on my site.

Sorry if these are newb questions but I am really interested in figuring this out.

Topic Edited By Admin: hope you don't mind that I changed the Topic text as it will help others looking for similar advice.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:27 am Reply with quote

These are ALL excellent questions and do not hesitate to ask more. Here we go... Smile

Quote:

I was wondering if you have a tutorial on how it works.

Unfortunately, all we have is the tutorial on how to make your own templates. This is provided in the download. However, I know the need exists and was going to work into 1.3 pop-up help within the Newsletter creation function itself and then try to find the time to put together a tutorial on basic functionality. Just so time-constrained. However, feel free to use these forums to ask ANY question that you have. I try to check for new posts at least twice per day.

Quote:

I have made my newsletter and was wondering how to preview it first then how to send it out. (I dont see a send button anywhere)

At the bottom of the Create Newsletter page, you should see a drop-down list box which defaults to "Preview" and then an "OK" button. You can change from "Preview" to "Submit" at any time.

The newsletter tool was designed with the following process in mind:

1. Create the newsletter content using the textboxes and checkboxes / etc.

2. Preview the newsletter until it is how you would like it.

3. Once it is how you wish it to be, you can either change from "Preview" to "Submit" and click "OK", or, what I like to do is send myself a "Test" email (This is the option of "Test email (to Admin ONLY)").

4. Once you have validated that the actual email was sent and looks right, you would then use the "Send Tested" function to finally select who to send it to and then click the "OK" button.

Quote:

Also wondering do I put my images that are used for the newsltter in a certain folder or can I just reference them from another folder on my site.

You may place the images to wherever you wish, just make sure you fully qualify ALL links as remember that this is an HTML email and it will need fully qualified links.

Quote:

Sorry if these are newb questions but I am really interested in figuring this out.

Like I said above, feel free to use these forums to ask ANY question about the tool. To be honest, it will help me derive better FAQs and/or Tutorials.

Regards,
montego

phpnewb8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote

Hey montego thanks for your reply. I guess my problem starts out as this. If you look at the attachments I posted, I do not see any submit or dropdown below the page... Do you have any advice?

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote

Sorry about that! Ok, it appears that Nuke Platinum also has a different subscriber system??? If you don't have paid subscriptions, try this:

Find within script NW_HNL_Func.php:

Code:

/* Users with paid subscriptions -- RLH: need to look into if date is a factor */
   echo "<INPUT TYPE=radio NAME=\"sendemail\" VALUE=\"paidsubscribers\"";
   if ($_POST['sendemail'] == "paidsubscribers") {
      echo " CHECKED";
   }
   echo "> ". _HNLPAIDMAIL ." ( ". NW_HNL_GetNbrRecipients("paidsubscribers", NULL) ." ". _HNLPAIDUSERS ." )<br>\n";

And comment out all of these lines. This will just exclude this category of "recipients" that is causing the script to stop working.

Unfortunately, I just don't have much time to look into Nuke Platinum. Not something I was intending on supporting, but maybe I will look into it for 1.3 since it is, as you say, growing in popularity.

Best regards,
montego

P.S. Thank you for the support with your donation!!

phpnewb8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote

Montego I have the preview button now but.. When I enter the html and click preview my nuke sentinel blocks me!

Any idea how to make this work?

phpnewb8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:13 am Reply with quote

Montego,

I may have answered my last post. I forgot I had CSS turned on in dreamweaver. Once I took it out, it tried to show mea preview (it didn't ban me) but now my current problem is the preview newsletter screen that popped up said "Cannot find selected newsletter file."

Any idea on how to make that work?

Thanks for your time. I need to make soome serious donations. Razz

phpnewb8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Update: This is th eerror I get when it says it cannot send:

HTML Newsletter - Administration
[ Create Newsletter | Send Tested | Main Config | Category Config | Maintain Newsletters | Site Administration | Archives ]

Warning: touch(): Unable to create file ./modules/HTML_Newsletter/archive/tmp.php because Permission denied in /home/blade/public_html/modules/HTML_Newsletter/admin/NW_HNL_Admin.php on line 39

Warning: chmod(): No such file or directory in /home/blade/public_html/modules/HTML_Newsletter/admin/NW_HNL_Admin.php on line 40

Warning: fopen(./modules/HTML_Newsletter/archive/tmp.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/blade/public_html/modules/HTML_Newsletter/admin/NW_HNL_Admin.php on line 41

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/blade/public_html/modules/HTML_Newsletter/admin/NW_HNL_Admin.php on line 42

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/blade/public_html/modules/HTML_Newsletter/admin/NW_HNL_Admin.php on line 43

phpnewb8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote

I went back and changed my permissions on the archive folder and the preview now works. I guess my first chmod of that folder didn't take.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote

You got it. Sorry I did not respond earlier. Was swamped at work and home. Glad you found it! Great job!

montego

phpnewb8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quote

I was able to send out the HTML newsletter and it looked good.

The only suggestions I would give to anyone else using it is if they are a first time sender of HTML emails I just wanted to make them aware of how some programs read it.

I previewed and sent a black background email with white text and red links.

Outlook users - The message came in fine just as I sent it.

Yahoo users - The message didn't keep my background (made it white) and the text black.

Hotmail - Hotmail was the only problem. Hotmail kept my background black but it also made the text black causing users not to be able to read the newsletter unless they highlight it.

What a great php module you made montego, take a bow.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote

phpnewb8 wrote:
What a great php module you made montego, take a bow.

First off, I would like to thank you for the kind words. Always nice to hear. I would also like to thank mangaman over at http://nukeworks.biz for his vision and persistence in pulling together version 1.0!

Regarding the helpful hints on how various mail readers present the newsletters, I am most appreciative of this input. Do you mind if I include this in some form of "Helpful Hints" type readme file in future distributions and/or within the download details so other may benefit in future versions?

Again, thank you for sharing!

montego

View next topic
View previous topic