Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
charmquark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote

Heh Montego ...
I'm about to use your most wonderful newsletter module again and I have just one question atm... ok, 2 questions.Wink

1. What's up with the low priority email flag? When I receive a newsletter test in OE, it's always flagged with low priority. Is this just because it's a test? If not, is this something I can change? One of my groups meets regularly in real time and they will get their shorts all knotted if they think I'm flagging their newsletters, intentionally, with this low priority flag.

2. Perhaps I'm not getting it yet, but is there a way to save draft newsletters on the server, then come back to them later for more edits? atm, I'm just saving the html as a file locally and copy/paste for each of my tests.

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you are getting emails flagged as low priority in OE. I don't have this with Outlook or Thunderbird - could it be a local setting on your machine?
Have others confirmed they have the same flagging? If so, then I suspect its a flaw in OE but have no idea of the basis on which OE is deciding what mail is a low or high priority - surely it cannot tell what the conten is to make that judgement.

Good point about saving draft newsletters, thats not something I had even considered myself. I know they can be saved for viewing on the site but I'm not sure if you can then go back in and perform a mail send on them.
Thanks for raising that point! Perhaps if it is not possible to do that now it might find its way into a the next version but only M can really comment on that.

charmquark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote

It takes me days to create a newsletter, indeed it is an ongoing process. Online drafting, retrieving and then sending the newsletter would be cool. Now I save the html, but need to input new titles, etc, for each new test ... just another item on my wish list.

After checking OE options, I can flag known incoming to a higher priority and I can flag read messages with a higher priority .... then I spent another hour troubleshooting this issue, why does the newsletter arrive with a low priority flag, at google and microsoft. And I still haven't got close to an answer.

Anyways, I was looking for a new email client. Thanks for the Thunderbird reminder.

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote

I haven't look at the script code in quite some time but I'm pretty sure the script itself is not applying a flag - if it does then its broken because I do not see it with Outlook or Thunderbird.

If I get a chance I'll take alook to see what I can find.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote

CodyG,

If you would like to change the email Priority, you can try to change it in the script: modules/HTML_Newsletter/admin/functions.php. Function msnl_fSendNls, right up towards the top of the function definition, the mail headers are defined and you will see the "Priority" being set to "6". Unfortunately, I don't know what the different numbers mean. I didn't code these headers originally. Let me know what you find! Wink

I will add to the list of enhancements the ability to set the priority.

Unfortunately, you cannot save the newsletter and come back later to modify it. That is a good enhancement idea! What I personally do is just work with the newsletter in an HTML editor to get the text the way I want it and then copy-and-paste it into the body text when I send it out.

Sorry about that! Sad

charmquark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Nothing like a little googling, when you know what it is you should be googling ...

Related information:
Values: 1 (Highest), 2 (High), 3 (Normal), 4 (Low), 5 (Lowest). 3 (Normal) is default if the field is omitted.

And more info here:
http://www.talios.com/the_origins_of_xpriority.htm

Default is apparently 3. I don't know what 6 means.
I'm setting it to 3 in the admin/functions.php.
I tested again and the low priority tag went away. Wink

Thanks!

Speaking of wish lists ...
I like my newsletters to go out from newsletter@mydomain.ca.
So, I change the nuke admin address to newsletter, quickly send the newsletter, then change the admin email back to my default admin@mydomain.ca. Would it be possible to incorporate a sending email, different than default nuke admin?

Thanks again.

Last edited by charmquark on Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total 
montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote

You are most welcome and I will add these enhancements to my list... now, to find the time. Its been almost a year since I've been able to touch this... Sad

charmquark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote

Much code to finesse, never enough time.
With passion and love and skill we do what we can.... we put it out there and hope gravity doesn't win. Rolling Eyes

Going to publish the third time this weekend.
I'm still confuddled.
css: the html and the template.php

My wysiwyg html editor, for drawing/naming tables; nuke themes; and html_newsletter template are three areas that basically want the same thing. Although my near last draft looks fabulous from the outside, I'm confused about the .css, which isn't unusual for me.
What should I do? Rolling Eyes

Software required to create newsletter.
email
phpmedit txt editor
wysiwyg editor
open office to save html as pdf, just because
ravennuke, and montego's most wonderful newsletter module
likely a graphic editor
ftp, of course

And the clueless ask me why I need two monitors????
Wink

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote

If you do not mind, since we are getting off the original topic, do you mind starting a new thread with your specific questions about CSS and template.php. I am not exactly sure what you are needing / requesting.

Thanks so much!

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote

charmquark wrote:
Speaking of wish lists ...
I like my newsletters to go out from newsletter@mydomain.ca.
So, I change the nuke admin address to newsletter, quickly send the newsletter, then change the admin email back to my default admin@mydomain.ca. Would it be possible to incorporate a sending email, different than default nuke admin?

Hey, speaking of this again, would this be an overall module setting or would you need to change it by newsletter? What I am thinking of is you might want to set this up-front in your module configuration, but then every newsletter would be sent with the same, OR, it could be set by newsletter category, OR it could be set within the newsletter template, OR it could be for every newsletter.

Enough options? :rotfl:

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote

Good idea.
Perhaps on a 'per send' basis would incorporate all of those options at once as it would be part of the inital newsletter screen where the other options are set. Shouldn't be too difficult to add a form text box to enter a specific 'from' address and have it 'default' to $admin_email (or whatever the admin email var is if the sutom filed is empty.
Hmm, I rather like that....

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, since I am thinking of also adding the ability to schedule newsletters (future, future feature...lol), that would imply some way to "configure" the newsletter and then just "let 'er rip" when it is intended to do so... so, that would probably mean taking, as you mention, the module configuration value as the default value, but then let the admin override it for THAT newsletter. So, really a combo of two of the options listed above.

View next topic
View previous topic