Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:25 am Reply with quote

Currently sponsor logo's/banners are selected from the admin area (radio buttons) - what happens if you have more than one sponsor?
We have a problem as we can only currently create 'one' sponsor logo/banner per newsletter.

Whilst the inclusion of a sponsors logo/banner is extremely useful for those running commercial sites who are perhaps making money from including a sponsores banner or even advertising the webmasters 'other' sites which are commercial - it would seem that multiple banners would therefore be much more appropriate and useful in these cases.

Granted, it is a simple matter to include additional banners within the newsletter content area but adding the appropriate html img code etc but perhaps this can be included in the roadmap?

As always, I tend to think both for those that 'do' and those that 'dont' want additional functionality so my personal view on how this might be implemented is as follows;

Assuming that the script is pulling 'banners' from the nuke 'banners' module..........
In the newsletter admin area the banners available are shown as they are at present with the addition of a 'check box' (instead of radio button) and text input box to define the banner TAG.
Template.php can then be edited to call the tags e.g. {BANNER1}, BANNER2}, {BANNER3} etc) - this allows maximum flexibility as template.php can be edited so that the correct BANNER tag can be placed wherever the webmaster thinks it is appropriate and also, by allowing the tag to be edited in the admin area, the sequence that the banners are displayed can be changed without having to edit template.php again.
e.g. The first banner might be small and the second banner quite big, so it make sense to have the big banner at the top of the newsletter. If for example we have already edited template.php to have a header banner, giving it the calling tag of {BANNER1}, we can simply change the second banner tag (the big one) listed in the admin area from the default {BANNER2} (as it is the second banner in the list) to {BANNER1}

But just to add complications, we would need to save this updated information into the DB so we dont have to change this sequence everytime we make a newsletter - only when we need to change the sequence because the sponsors have changed.

While we are looking at this particular area of the script we might as well consider the following;
An additional (optional) text area associated with the banner so some advertising blurb about the sponsor can be placed within the newsletter. This would need a new TAG to be created for template.php, lets call it {BANNERCONTENT1}, {BANNERCONTENT2} to make it easy to read.
Again, this would need an additional DB field to store the data so we didnt have to write it out everytime.

So in summary, we would have to;
check the DB and retrieve any data there
compare with current nuke banner module data and then add any banners that had been aded but not currently in the newsletter banner DB

echo data to admin page
option to edit each tag associated with each banner and include 'content area' - save data

Option to include specific banners on/off
check if banner is '0' that template.php doesnt try to echo a blank image which it probably would as the TAG is called in template.php but nothing is ther so perhaps an easier option would be to include a default 'Your Banner here' image and then the content area could contain something like "You can have your banner here for $X a month, email xxx@mydomain.com for details" - or something like that

Just thinking out loud hehehehe............

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:44 am Reply with quote

Guardian,

You don't want much do you!!! Laughing Looks like I could make a career out of this thing if only it would bring in $... Oh well... the joys of this "hobby".

Regards,
montego

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote

What can I say?
Someone put up a 'feature request' forum so I thought I would make use of it. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I was just thinking out loud actually so it might possibly help with any future roadmaps you were planning. I might even have a go at this myself.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostalWorker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote

Guardian,

how are you making out with the multi sponsor logo's/banners ??

is it still alive ?

hicux

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote

It looks like ideas are flying away. That post was from 2005 Laughing

PostalWorker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:34 am Reply with quote

I know, but was hoping Guardian looks in once in a while

I think I am beating a dead horse, but it is worth a try Cool

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote

At the time of my original post, I did have a number of advertising clients who could have benefited from having their adverts placed in my Newsletters but since then, a great many community related websites have ceased to exist and unfortunately, 99.9% of my active website members have opted out of receiving newsletters in their account profile (which is the default setting on my site).
It wasn't really worth the effort of maintaining the changes I made considering I might send out a newsletter once a year now, so I just use the built in wysiwyg editor to place any adverts I might need within the newsletter itself.
Having recently lost my main domain, I'm finding it dfficult to get regular visitors to my new site, so I'll probably be another closing it's doors before much longer.

PostalWorker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote

Hey Guardian,

You had a great idea
I could use something like that

so you had a working copy ?
Quote:
Guardian "maintaining the changes I made"

can I have a peek @ them changes ?

I am hosting a site that has many sponsor's
each are a member of this private fishing & canoe club
http://55stewartlane.com/

if I send out a newsletter with only one ...
... well let's say I wouldn't like it if I were a sponsor (I am)

any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated
the end of the month is in three days Wink

I was thinking of something in the Templates code and just build in the footer for each sponsor with html & the site's sponsor's

just stack the sponsor's or use a table for the smaller ones ... something ... ideas ?

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote

I no longer have the code as I no longer use it but like I said, the wysiwyg editor will allow you to add sponsor images and links into the newsletter body itself and you'll probably be able to create a better visual appearance that way, especially if you have images of different sizes.
Maybe you could contact your sponsors and get them to provide some text as well for your newsletter, this might encourage sponsors to keep buying advertising space.

View next topic
View previous topic