Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
floppy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote

I hate I didnt' post this last night when the error occured, but php mail encountered an error while tyring to send to an email address. Therefor I believe the processed died. I have confirmed some of the later users didn't recieve my spam.

Is there a remedy for this?

Excuse my ignorance Smile for not grabbing the official error. Any thoughts?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote

floppy, how can I give you a remedy when I don't even know what the error was? Laughing

Well, in modules/HTML_Newsletter/admin/functions.php is function msnl_fSendNls which does the actual send. I do hard stop the script if there is a mail error. I am guessing that maybe your host has a limit on the number of mails it allows to be sent within a given time-frame and maybe that was the reason for getting an error on the mail() function?

Or, next time, if you can also capture and see what was the last user who received your newsletter, maybe there is something different about the email address?

Not sure sir.

floppy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote

Yeah I wasn't asking for the answer I know you can't provide it without the problem. Just wanted to pick your brain.

You did give me an idea of what it might be though. I will do some research and report back.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote

Yes, sounds very much like your host has a limit imposed on the number of emails you can send at once.
Unfortunately it is unlikely you would be able to override that setting locally but if I remember correctly, I think M was considering including some sort of 'batching' in the mail sending function in a future release but only Montego could confirm that.

floppy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote

I wonder what setting it is. Guess I should ask my host.

floppy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote

Reply from my host about php mail

Quote:
Mack,

Some private info removed Currently, it is set to umlimited. Mailing to 5000 users is possible, but we would not advise it since exim will be loading the server and hence if possible, please send these as 100 mails per hour. Also, make sure that all the emails on this list are genuine, else you will be listed at the RBL's which can cause mail blocks in future.

I think I need to look into modding the code so it doesn't die. Seems like one error shouldn't end the whole run. Thats a hard toss up.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote

floppy wrote:
Seems like one error shouldn't end the whole run. Thats a hard toss up.

Well, yes and no. Consider how many different hosts this thing could be running against. Just because yours will allow it... plus, they are asking you to batch these into 100 per hour? That is a really conservative suggestion and makes me even more think that other hosts will actually impose a hard restriction.

You also would not want your host to completely shut down your mail server thinking that it was compromised right? If I hard-fail it, that could actually prevent that from happening. Imagine this scenario: you send to 5000, after the first restriction of nnnnn per XXXXX is reached, you continue to try and flood the service... what is a host to think?

Not saying what I have is good though. Problem that I am struggling with is that I am NOT a mailer expert. This tool is a very simple tool and not meant for professional grade sophistication. If something like that is needed, most likely, you are going to have to pay for it.

Quite honestly? I have no idea where I am going to take this, if at all. It has been well over a year since my last real functional upgrade... Hosts are getting so persnickety about this stuff now, that I am not sure I really want the headaches...

BTW, don't ignore what the host is saying about "good" emails. Too many bounce-backs sound like a "bad thing"....

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote

I should add that as an ex-hosting provider myself (6 servers), although I too never had any restrictions running in EXIM (the mail server) my firewalls always did. Even my little VPS which I only have my own sites on has restrictions just in case a mail script gets compromised.

Any host who doesn't restrict their outgoing mail is a fool - sorry but thats a fact!
They will either end up blacklisted because someone abused it intentionally (sending spam), unintentionally by sending mail to other mail services that track bounces such as AOL, Hotmail etc or the server load will go through the roof.

The easiest solution for sending that amount of mail is create your own mailing list with your email client, send one newsletter to yourself and then use your ISP's mail server Wink

floppy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote

I believe the last error was different, but here is the new one.

Quote:
Create Newsletter - Send Mail

Total Emails Sent: 5383

More than 500 users will receive the newsletter, this can take 10 minutes or more and PHP may time-out.

ERROR IN MODULE: HTML_Newsletter

ERROR MSG: PHP mail function failed - was unable to send newsletter to: jota610@gmail.com

floppy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote

I am will do some research on what other newsletter services are available. I like the html newsletter because I can use my db as my list Smile

Guardian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote

Yeah I guess thats another obstacle to overcome it's most likely that the php max script execution time was met and halted the sending routine.

I know my first big site I used something called WorldMail which allowed me to configure automatic removal of users from the mail list when they clicked a link in the newsletter and also allowed me to import the initial list via a csv list from the DB which include the users salutation, fore and surnames etc but I do not think it is available any more Sad (it was freeware)

I have not used it in a while but another mailing script I used to recommend was dadamail which has batching functionality.

montego
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote

floppy wrote:
I am will do some research on what other newsletter services are available. I like the html newsletter because I can use my db as my list Smile

Yeah, one thing I was thinking of doing was provide a facility to create a XML or CSV file of mail recipients which could be imported into a commercial mailing system.

I had already added the "Ad-Hoc" capability also with the hopes that some commercial mailing systems will take an email as input for their newsletter, so you could still create the newsletter in HNL but then email it to the commercial mailer and then have it do its thing...

With so much going on in the SPAM world, things are just getting so tightened down and people are so sensitive to this now that it makes sending out mass newsletters really problematic. I hate to see anyone get blacklisted. I just am not certain what I can do to help prevent that. Maybe I should open a thread to discuss.

View next topic
View previous topic