Montego Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Misha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Montego,

I'm using switch statement in my version, I learnt long ago in C that switch is more efficient than a long sequence of ifs, even elseifs.

You are improving performance with elseifs. Is it different in php? Or did I just forget something? I did not write anything in C for more than ten years already...

Thanks, Misha

Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote

I will admit that I was more focused on the 1.1.0 release in getting the additional detail into the page titles and took the quick way out on improving upon performance. I would have had to run speed comparisons between if-then-elseif vs. switch or done alot of research.

I'll put it on the list to investigate further in the next enhancement release.

However, to be honest, the difference is going to be so minimal in this use case than if one was looping through a control structure like this 10's of thousands of times. The database calls is where most of the time is going to be spent here. But, every little bit helps and I am a curious guy... Wink

Misha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote

You mentioned that you used elsifs in this version, and I'm a curious guy, too Smile So I just thought it does not hurt to ask Wink

And you did not mention database calls optimization - at least I did not see this. I have a question here - is the way you do database calls now the optimal one? At least to the best of your knowledge?

Thanks, Misha

Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge the answer is "yes" on the db calls. I had to make a few trade-offs for functionality purposes, but that is what design/programming is all about right? Wink

Why so curious? Are you having some particular issue that has sparked this curiousity?

View next topic
View previous topic